Lemon Parmesan Haricot Verts
This is my new “go to” side dish!
I was inspired to cook something fabulous in my beautiful new bakeware I received as a gift from one of my dearest friends.
In a constant effort to introduce something new to the family for dinner, I decided to experiment with haricot verts.
They were a happy accident since I ended up forging through the freezer for a quick dinner accompaniment and found them there.
Just sitting there. Waiting. Patiently. As if I had some grand vision on a grocery trip long gone by where I would make some terrific new dish with fancy French green beans.
Obviously I had forgotten about them and also whatever dish I had wanted to make that day. I surveyed the fridge for a complimentary flavor.
It is hard to ignore my favorite way to start a dish – garlic and onions sautéed in butter. I had scallions – even better. And, hey! I had lemons and parmesan. How de rigueur.
The not-so-planned-out-plan was coming together.
I remembered that straight up lemon juice can really turn green beans a nice brownish color (as opposed to the bright green from blanching) so I opted just for zest.
After the green beans are blanched, everything is simply sautéed and seasoned.
The simple flavors combined together delivered a fresh, healthy and delicious addition to our meal.
Lemon Parmesan Green Beans
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 lb haricot verts
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water and 1/2 Tbsp salt to a rapid boil. (The amount of salt really depends on how much water you have -
- Add the green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Remove immediately, drain and shock beans in a large bowl of ice water.
- In a large sauce pan, over medium heat, sauté the shallots and garlic in the butter and olive oil until shallots are clear.
- Add the green beans back in and toss with the butter, garlic and shallots until heated through. (about 3-5 minutes)
- Sprinkle with lemon zest, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.