Lemony Butter Chicken Piccata – Gluten Free
This recipe is on my “when-in-doubt” list.
That list happens to cover “what do I make tonight,” “guests are coming,” and “I want to impress someone” nights.
Who knew a simple recipe could cover so many variables?
One of the ingredients that really stands out is which gluten free flour you use to coat the chicken. I love the Bette’s Gourmet Featherlight Rice Flour Blend from Authentic Foods. Another great option (but comes in a smaller box) is the King Arthur’s Multipurpose Gluten Free Flour Blend.
Chicken Piccata is a chicken dish where the chicken is lightly floured (with gluten free four) and pan-seared in oil in a skillet on the stovetop. The sauce is a flavorful lemon, butter, parsley and caper medley that begins with a light saute of chopped onions and minced garlic.
This was a delicious, easy-to-make, meal that uses a lot of ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry/refrigerator.
Lemony Butter Chicken Piccata
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 whole garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup gluten free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 whole lemon, sliced
- 2 Tbsp capers, rinsed
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Mix together flour, salt and pepper and place in a shallow dish.
- Pat the cutlets dry with a paper towel and dredge in the flour mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Cook chicken in oil for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Saute the onions and garlic for 2-3 min until onion is clear. (If oil is gone, add 1 more Tbsp.
- Stir in the chicken broth, lemon juice and capers, scraping up any brown bits in the pan.
- Simmer until the sauce is reduced and slightly syrupy (about 10 minutes). Don't skip this step or your sauce will be to thin.
- Turn the heat to low and whisk in the butter.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with the parsley.