Key Lime Pie with Pecan Shortbread Crust – Gluten Free
How could I have been so busy at to miss something as significant as National Pi Day?! Blasphemy!
Not that I need excuse to eat pie, but I did need an excuse to actually make a pie in the middle of the week.
There it was…and I missed it.
If you don’t know what National Pi Day is, click here for a fun explanation.
Inspired by National Pi Day and St. Patty’s day all in one week, I decided to make Key Lime Pie. Well, it’s kind of green.
But, this wasn’t just any key lime pie. This was one with a Pecan Shortbread cookie crust – and it was gluten free!
I made a basic butter cookie crust with Pameal’s Pecan Shortbread Cookies. Then I used the Shirriff brand, Dr. Oetker, Key Lime Pie Filling an Dessert Mix and topped it with merengue.
This isn’t one of the “instant” pudding mixes and requires you to boil water to make the filling, but I promise it’s not that intimidating.
It came out absolutely delicious.
I was tempted to color it more “green” for St. Patty’s day, but decided it didn’t need any additional artificial colors or flavors.
Any gluten free cookie would work okay – but key lime pies usually have a graham cracker or vanilla wafer cookie crust, so I chose a really great shortbread cookie.
Using a chocolate cookie crust or gf flour pie crust starts to get farther away from the traditional key lime pie ensemble.
Next year, I think I’ll devote the whole week to pie!
Key Lime Pie with Pecan Shortbread Crust - Gluten Free
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free shortbread cookies, crushed fine
- 5 Tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 box Shirrif Dr. Oetker Key Lime Pie Filling (or your favorite brand)
- 2 whole eggs, divide the yolks into one bowl and egg whites into another
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 Tbsp butter, not melted
GLUTEN FREE COOKIE PIE CRUST
- Pre-heat oven to 375 deg F and grease a 9" pie shell with Original Pam or butter
- Mix cookie crumbs, melted butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and cinnamon together.
- Press into pie dish and bake for 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
KEY LIME PIE
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- In a saucepan off the stove, whisk together 2 egg yolks, cold water and contents of the Key Lime dessert filling packet.
- Add the 2 cups of boiling water and place on stove over medium heat. Stir constantly until the first bubble breaks, then continue for 30 seconds.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp butter. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour into cookie crumb crust.
- Reduce oven temp to 350 deg F.
- Beat the egg whites on high in a medium bowl until they form soft peaks
- Slowly add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form
- Pour the merengue on top of the key lime mixture and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.