Everything But The Kitchen Sink Casserole – Gluten Free
I’m one of those “I never ask for help” people, so when I broke down and had to get some help putting large pieces of furniture together, I felt compelled to make a “thank you” dinner for my friends whom so kindly “volunteered.”
Honestly, I’m always compelled to make dinner. I love to cook. Especially for people who love to eat. It’s a “win win!”
I am happy to experiment with specific requests as long as the recipient understands I only cook gluten free. To this day, I’ve never had anyone tell me they notice the difference so I’m either doing something right or my friends are way too nice.
It’s always fun to think I’m right, so we’ll just go with that.
In this particular case the answer was, “How about a casserole? Throw everything you’ve got but the kitchen sink.”
Lucky for them, the kitchen sink wouldn’t have fit anyway.
Anyone can make this casserole with whatever they have on hand. It’s simply pasta, a whole bunch of veggies, my favorite cheeses and a sauce made with gluten free tomato soup and spices.
I basically emptied out my vegetable drawers and freezer…and voila! A healthy, fresh, vegetarian casserole.
*Feel free to substitute your favorite veggies and cheeses.
Everything But The Kitchen Sink Casserole - Gluten Free
- 8 oz gluten free pasta (I used Ancient Harvest GF Quinoa Macaroni)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup baby peas
- 1/2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup green beans, chopped small
- 18 oz tomato soup, gluten free
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (gluten free)
- 4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated *optional*
- 1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs (I used Schar or Gillians)
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
- Cook the pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium/high heat. When it's hot (a drop of water will sizzle), saute the garlic and onions for 2-3 minutes until onions are clear.
- Add the herbs and the rest of the vegetables and toss with garlic and onions until warm (about 5 minutes).
- Add the tomato soup, vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Pour the macaroni into a large 9x13-ish casserole dish (or two 8x8). Add half of the cheese and all of the vegetables. Stir together.
- Top with the remaining cheese. Place bread crumbs on top and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake (covered) for 20-25 minutes. Then remove cover and bake another 5-10 minutes until bread crumbs are golden and casserole is bubbling.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve with gluten free crusty rolls.