Summertime Cherry Almond Oatmeal Crisp – Gluten Free
My twin sister and her daughter love to eat fresh cherries by the bowl. I know that the cherry happens to be one of summertime’s best representatives of “nature’s candy,” but getting the pit out can be, well…the pits.
Turns out that it’s not such an insurmountable task when you realize how delicious a fresh bowl of cherries can be and that it’s definitely worth the effort.
If you don’t care how pretty the cherry looks as a snack or for a baked dessert, you can just cut them or even bite into them and spit out the seed (if you’re with folks who think that’s cool).
There are many methods out there for removing pits that range from a paring knife to a paper clip. Click here for some of the tips.
This is a treat that is fun to make with, and for, friends. And it is one dessert where you will all enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Start with fresh cherries (remove pits!)
Mix together sugar, gf flour, vanilla, orange zest and cinnamon.
Toss with sugar/flour mixture.
Top with almond-oatmeal crisp and bake until golden brown.
Summertime Cherry Almond Oatmeal Crisp - Gluten Free
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh cherries, pitted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (King Arthur, Authentic Foods, or Bette Hagman)
- 1.5 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup certified gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 deg F.
- Toss the fresh cherries with granulated sugar, vanilla, orange zest, and 1/4 cup of the gluten free flour. Let sit 15-20 minutes.
- While the cherries are getting their sugar on, mix together the remaining ingredients for topping. Mix well until desired crumbly texture. Set aside.
- Grease a 9x13 glass or ceramic baking dish and bake cherries (without topping) for 45-50 minutes until bubbly.
- Remove cherries from oven and sprinkle almond-oatmeal crumble on top and bake an additional 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with fresh whipped cream or gluten free vanilla ice cream.