Domino Quinoa Salad – Black Quinoa with Garbanzo Beans and Balsamic Lime Dressing
This delicious black quinoa sat in a package on my counter for far too long before I could decide something “different” to do with it.
Finally, I decided garbanzo beans would be a terrific, high-protein addition, as well as black beans. The only decision left was how to best spice it up.
I hesitated briefly between seasoning the dish to favor the garbanzo beans (as in hummus with lemon and tahini paste) or to favor the black beans with a Tex-Mex cilantro, cumin and lime flavor.
I opted for the latter and also added fresh basil, garlic and onion. The dressing is simply made with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, Kosher salt and pepper.
This dish can be served hot or cold, travels well and makes a great picnic dish or lunch salad for work.
Whisk up the dressing
Marinate beans in herbs and dressing
Saute garlic, cumin and onion in oil
Add the quinoa and water and cook
Toss together and serve (hot or cold)
Domino Quinoa Salad - Black Quinoa with Garbanzo Beans and Balsamic Lime Dressing
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 15 oz organic black beans
- 15 oz organic garbanzo beans
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup shallots, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup black quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Whisk together balsamic vinegar, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Place beans, cilantro and basil in a small bowl. Pour dressing on top to marinate. Stir together and let sit.
- Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp in a heavy 2 qt sauce pan. Add the shallots, garlic and cumin. Saute until fragrant and shallots are clear (about 2 min).
- Add the quinoa and water. Bring to a boil and reduce to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until quinoa is soft. Fluff with a fork.
- Add the quinoa to the marinating beans and toss.
- Serve hot or cold.