Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
Call it a “hot dish” or call it a “casserole,” this ensemble is always a crowd pleaser. Plus, if you’re feeling to lazy (wait, that’s me) to actually roll enchiladas, this tastes exactly the same, but is cut into nice little squares.
This recipe took an hour to make, start to finish, and serves 6-8.
2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 lbs of skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3 Tbsp of chili powder
2 Tbsp of ground cumin
2 15 oz cans of black beans, drained
8 oz of diced green chilies, undrained
3 cups of sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 12 8″ corn tortillas
2 10 ounce cans of gluten free enchilada sauce (I used the La Victoria mild red enchilada sauce..their site even says it’s gluten free.)
2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of diced tomatoes for the top (optional)
1/2 cup of shredded iceberg lettuce for the top (optional)
*Add salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish (I use Pam Original nonstick spray)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium/high heat
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until onion is clear (about 3-4 minutes)
- Add the chicken and continue to stir/toss the pieces until they are cooked through (about 5-7 minutes)
- Stir in the chili powder and cumin and toss until well coated
- Add the beans and chilies and stir together
- Place half of the tortillas in the bottom of the baking dish (tear or cut to fit them well enough to cover the bottom)
- Layer 1/2 of the chicken and bean mixture, 1/2 of the sour cream and the 1/2 of the enchilada sauce.
- Add another layer of the corn tortillas and repeat step #9.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and cook for 30-35 minutes until heat through and bubbly.
- Garnish with lettuce and tomatoes. Serve with a side of guacamole.