The Best Thing I Ate All Week! ~ Basil Shrimp Quinoa
It wasn’t that long ago that I couldn’t even pronounce Quinoa (keen-wah), let alone purposely want to eat it. It’s a foreign concept to me as I grew up on pasta and rice and nowhere was the very ancient grain “Quinoa” to be found.
If you haven’t tried it, I most highly recommend it. It’s full of fiber and protein and goes well with just about anything. It has a very mild flavor of its own and takes on the seasoning of whatever dish you dream up.
As I have mentioned before, I’m honored to be the gluten free editor for The Fresh 20′s gluten free weekly meal plans. For $5 a month, you get a meal plan using 20 fresh ingredients for five meals each week. They’re absolutely delicious, a time-saver and the best way to prepare for your busy week. The shopping list is even included!
This is one of my favorite new dishes from The Fresh 20. It’s the Basil Shrimp Quinoa dish from the menu plan two weeks ago.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 lb raw shrimp, peeled, tail on
- 1 cup of fresh basil, shredded
- 1 cup dry Original Quinoa (Ancient Harvest is a great organic brand)
- 2 cups of gluten free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 lime, peeled and chopped into small bits
- Saute garlic and bell pepper in olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp and season with salt.
- Cooks shrimp for about 5 minutes until they are opaque.
- Remove from heat and toss with shredded basil.
- Simmer broth and butter over medium heat. Stir in the lime bits.
- Remove from heat, stir in quinoa, and cover with lid.
- Let stand 10 minutes (until quinoa is slightly translucent and soft).
- Season with salt.