The “Make-Ahead-For-New-Year’s-Day Brunch” Italian Egg and Potato Breakfast Casserole
It seems the New Year’s Day generally starts late for most people. Not only that, but I’m thinking that having a scrumptious brunch already made will feel like a blessing once the hunger pains start to kick in on January 1st.
This isn’t just for those of you who might have slept through (or didn’t go to sleep) until breakfast-time – although I had you in mind when I created it!
*p.s. Dear Santa – love my new 50mm Nikon macro lens.
The Make Ahead for New Year's Day Brunch Italian Egg and Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage, gluten free
- 2 1/2 cups shredded potato (aka hash browns)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 6 whole eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 2" wide slices prosciutto
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, stems removed for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat (about 5-7 min).
- Spray a 9″ pie plate with gluten free non-stick cooking spray (I use Pam Original).
- Press the shredded potato into the bottom and up the sides to form the “crust.” (If you want a crispy, hash-brown crust, bake just the crust for 10-12 minutes until crispy - then continue with next step.
- Sprinkle with half of the Parmesan cheese and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper.
- Drain the sausage and place in the pie plate. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Whisk together the egg and milk. Pour on top of mixture. Place the prosciutto strips on top.
- Add one more layer of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper and 1/2 tsp of paprika and bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbling.
- Sprinkle with fresh Italian parsley.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve OR let it cool completely and place in the refrigerator to serve (heat up) the next day.