Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew Ever!
Are you a meat and potatoes lover? Crazy about your slow cooker? Suffering through these long wintry days?
If you’ve developed a craving for something delicious and filling to take the edge off the cold weather, look no further.
This recipe serves 4-6 and takes 5-7 hours in the slow cooker on HIGH. Another option is 8-10 hours on LOW.
It is “done” when the meat is tender and falling into pieces and the potatoes are soft, but not falling apart.
- 2 lbs of cubed beef stew meat (usually labeled this way at the butcher)
- 1/2 cup of gluten free flour (blend or rice is fine)
- 1 tsp salt + additional as needed
- 1 tsp pepper + additional as needed
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 2 Tbsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup of red wine (dry)
- 2 1/2 cups of gluten free beef broth
- 12 oz gluten free cream of mushroom soup (Pacific Natural Foods)
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of diced potatoes (with or without peel)
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1/2 cup of fresh, chopped parsley
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together in a bowl and toss the beef cubes in the flour mixture until lightly coated on all sides
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil over medium/high heat in a large saute pan and until all sides are lightly browned (about 5-7 minutes total). Remove meat and place in slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan and saute the onions and garlic over medium/high heat until the onions are clear (about 2 minutes)
- Add the wine and beef broth to the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the soup, Worcestershire sauce, and additional salt and pepper (to taste). Stir together until smooth over medium heat.
- Add the chopped potatoes, carrots and parsley to the meat
- Pour the wine sauce on top (if it doesn’t cover the meat all the way, add additional beef broth)
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or longer)