The Best Chicken Enchiladas…Ever! – Gluten Free
The Best Chicken Enchiladas...Ever! Gluten Free
- 12 large corn tortillas (gluten free)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tsp salt
- 3 tsp pepper
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp cumin powder
- 1 medium red onion, chopped fine
- 1 10oz can Ro-Tel style diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded/grated
- 3/4 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded/grated
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream on the side *optional*
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- In a 12" skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat/high heat. (don't use a non-stick skillet if you have the option)
- Pat the chicken breasts dry on both sides and sprinkle with half 1 1/2 tsp each) of the salt, pepper, cumin and all of the garlic powder. (if the chicken is moist, it won't brown in the skillet)
- Once the oil is hot (a water drop will sizzle), add the chicken. Cook for approximately 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Set the chicken on a serving plate to rest and cool off.
- In the same pan (without rinsing it out), add the onions and garlic to the chicken juice and saute until clear (about 2-3 min.).
- Add the tomato sauce, corn (optional), chilies, chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, sugar and water.
- Simmer for 7-10 min on medium heat.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave between two moist paper towels, about 45-60 seconds until warm and soft. They roll much easier and won't break when they're pre-heated.
- Make an assembly line with the sauce, the tortillas, a large cutting board, shredded cheese, shredded chicken and 9x13 baking dish..
- Using a spoon, spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of the 9x13 dish.
- Dip each corn tortilla into the sauce until covered on both sides.
- On a large cutting board, place the tortilla down and fill with about 2 Tbsp each of the cheese and chicken. Roll and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat until you are out of one of the ingredients!
- Cover completely with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake loosely covered with foil for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly on top.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh cilantro, scallions and tomatoes.
- Serve with plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and fresh avocados.