“Perfect Every Time” Hollandaise Sauce – Gluten Free
For Father’s Day, I made his favorite Eggs Benedict, as is our tradition. The Hollandaise Sauce has always given me a little trouble, but this year I found out how to make it perfect every time. For those of you who are familiar with this recipe, it’s often made on the stove using a double boiler because you don’t want to actually cook the eggs to overcook for the sauce. Turns out, that my mini-smoothie blender worked even better and I just added the hot liquid slowly.
If you have not had the pleasure of smothering your favorite eggs or veggies in Hollandaise Sauce, you don’t know what you’re missing! It’s nothing but butter, eggs and lemon. Okay, so it doesn’t fall into the “healthy” category, but it makes for a great special occasion and/or just sprucing up your favorite veggies.
This recipe serves two and took about 20 minutes to make from start to finish.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 12 Tbsp melted butter (one and a half sticks)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper (black won’t hurt it either)
- 2 tsps HOT water (as needed)
- 1 tsp of chopped chives or parsley (optional)
- Using a blender, blend the egg yolks and lemon juice for about 10 seconds until frothy.
- Keep the blender going and slowly add the warm melted butter. (If your blender has a lid with a removable middle piece, this is what it’s for!)
- The sauce should be thick enough to coat a spoon (see above) but still able to pour over your eggs or veggies.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a teaspoon of HOT water until it’s the desired consistency.
- Add the salt and peppers. Blend for another 10 seconds.
- This should be used immediately, but can be reheated SLOWLY in the microwave (remember, you don’t want the eggs to cook all the way).
- Sprinkle with chives or parsley.
*You might want to experiment a bit with the combination of the lemon juice, cayenne pepper and salt to get the right flavor. It shouldn’t be too “lemony” or too salty. The consistency should be smooth and creamy.