Spicy Grilled Shrimp and Jasmine Rice
Thanks to my friend Jason for recommending this recipe to me from Dr. Mark Hyman’s “UltraMind Recipes, Your Six Week Eating Plan to an UltraMind” book! I have his “UltraMind Solution” book and have posted about it previously. This recipe is both gluten free and casein free (dairy) and full of spicy flavors. I modified it slightly and used a bed of Jasmine rice instead of his recommended Quinoa Timbales (which I may make next) so it may not meet his original eating plan requirements. I highly recommend checking out both of those books!
This recipe serves four and took an hour to marinate and 10 minutes to grill.
- ¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil (not light)
- 2 tsp. minced fresh oregano
- 2 tsp. minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. lemon juice (fresh)
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. large (21–25 count) shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- 1 cup Jasmine rice, cooked
- Mix together the extra-virgin olive oil, oregano, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the shrimp in the olive oil and herbs.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Thread the shrimp on 4 skewers, placing 5 to 6 shrimp on each skewer.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or an indoor grill pan over medium-high heat. If using a grill pan, brush with 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil before heating. Grill the shrimp for 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve with the lemon wedges.