Naturally gluten free and with an international fan base, this is one of my favorite appetizers and also makes a great salad just on it’s own. It’s made with a wonderful Mozzarella Fresca cheese. It’s a soft, creamy (almost milky) cheese with a high moisture content, just solid enough to slice. It’s topped with slices of fresh summer tomatoes and garden-grown basil leaves. Because I’m a fan all of the natural fresh flavors, I simple drizzled some flavorful Extra Virgin Olive Oil (not “light”) and sprinkled some Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper prior to serving. This is one of those salads I could eat every day!
This recipe serves 3 and took about 10 minutes to prepare.
- 3 slices of Mozzarella Fresca
- 3 slices of fresh tomatoes
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Slice the Mozzarella Fresca and place on the plate
- Slice the tomatoes and place on top of the cheese
- Top each cheese/tomato layer with a basil leaf
- Drizzle the olive oil over the cheese, tomatoes and basil
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper
- Serve immediately