Gluten Free Skillet BBQ Chicken and Baked Beans
The sun is finally out here in San Diego, so the last thing I should really be doing is cooking barbeque chicken INDOORS. However, it was just easier this way on a busy night to use the stove-top method for BBQ Chicken and Baked Beans. I actually used store-bought (gasp) Original barbeque sauce by Sweet Baby Ray’s (our favorite gluten free BBQ sauce) and baked beans by Bushes. (According to their site, all versions of Bushes Best Baked Beans are gluten free except the Bushes Best Chili Beans.)
This recipe took about 25 minutes and serves 2-4.
- 1 lb boneless, chicken breast (organic, if possible!)
- 1 1 /2 cups Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ Sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cups of chopped bacon
- 2 cups Bushes Best Baked Beans – Original
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- Fresh ground pepper – to taste
- Kosher salt – to taste
- Cook the bacon in a skillet, or in the microwave, until crispy. Set aside.
- In a separate sauce pan, heat the beans over medium/high heat until warm. Reduce the heat to low and simmer.
- Heat the oil in a 12″ skillet over medium/high heat until glistening.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken pieces and place in the oil. Lightly brown each side (about 4 minutes each). Remove from heat.
- In the same skillet, saute the onions until clear. Add 1/4 cup to the baked beans.
- Add the bacon to the beans and stir together.
- Add the BBQ sauce to the remaining onions in the skillet and stir together.
- Add the chicken breast back on top and cover.
- Simmer approximately 10-12 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with fresh seasonal fruit.