Where the South Meets the West Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
A great, easy-to-make, gluten free lunch option is the very versatile chicken salad. I took my favorite southern chicken salad recipe and put it in California-style lettuce wraps. There are many variations for chicken salad including the famed “Waldorf” chicken salad and the curried chicken salad.
My friend DeAnn tells me that the curried is the best. I hadn’t tried that, so decided to make one of my wraps with curry. WOW! I love it. I used the same recipe below, but added about 1/4 tsp of gluten free, all natural (no MSG) curry powder as I mixed it together.
This recipe serves 2-4 and took me about 35 minutes to make (including poaching the chicken).
- 1/2 lb cooked, shredded chicken
- 6 large iceberg lettuce leaves (cut the head of lettuce in half, rinse)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup all natural mayonnaise (there is no gluten in all natural or organic mayo)
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (from a real lemon folks, not the bottle)
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- 1/4-1/3 tsp of gluten free curry powder (optional)
- If you need to cook the chicken (as in, no leftovers), bring a large sauce pan half full with water, to a rolling boil. Add 1/4 tsp salt. Add 1/2 lb of chicken cut into 2-3″ pieces (cooks faster). Then cover and simmer on low/med for 15-20 minutes until done (no pink). Let cool about 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, dice your vegetables.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.
- When the chicken is cool, chop or shred into small pieces. Add to other ingredients and gently mix together.
- Take the large iceberg lettuce leaves and arrange on a plate. Spoon in the chicken salad.